If you have an Ancestral File Number (AFN), answering this question is a breeze. Ancestral File, created by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is a lineage-linked database containing over 36 million names. It includes the European royal family, scientists, war heroes, and government and religious leaders. Digital Roots at Brigham Young University has created a free online search engine for Ancestral File called Relationship Finder v2, which calculates your relationship to famous people. To use this tool, follow these simple steps:
1. Open Relationship Finder v2.
2. Create a user account.
3. Create a group page.
4. Click “Add a Person.” Leave this website open.
5. At FamilySearch.org, find a close relative in Ancestral File (only deceased persons are listed).
6. Copy the AFN listed for that individual.
7. Paste the AFN in the Relationship Finder page and click “Finished.”
8. Click “Run a Report,” then adjust the number of generations and categories you wish to search and then press “Request this Report” and voilà!
Located one block from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Price & Associates is able to trace most family histories back four or five generations without difficulty. With additional assistance from our research professionals across the globe, we have successfully traced genealogies back as many as thirty generations—to William the Conqueror, 1066 A.D. and beyond.
Price & Associates professional genealogy researchers have been helping people discover their heritage for more than thirty years. As one of the United States’ largest genealogical firms, we have assisted thousands of families to organize, chart, and verify their ancestral lines. Price & Associates uses the best software and genealogy resources available, and even provides access to free databases and researching aids to everyone interested in their family history.
801-531-0920 (For local callers)
By Fax 801-359-4301
By Postal Mail
Price & Associates Inc.
15 West South Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84101